Nov 21, 2014

where did the last two weeks go?

I knew it had been awhile since I updated my blog but I've been off doing who knows what for two weeks??  No wonder I got a concerned email from a friend yesterday who thought perhaps I was having a hard time with the holiday season approaching.  She may be partially correct as this is the year of firsts without DJ at my side.  So far I am hanging in there, with a few exceptions, but then we are about a week away from Thanksgiving yet.

I have gotten little sewing done.  We had some really frigid (for us) weather lately and when it did warm up with had a ton of rain.  Like 4 inches in a 12 hour period kind of rain.  Those overnight temps in the high teens and low 20's and daytime highs about 20-30 degrees below normal.  And cut right through you winds.  Like Illinois!  Anyway, Oscar has been in more then out lately.  Of course he loves that!  It just means that I cannot go to the sewing room and get anything done as he whines if I don't come back right away and I have to keep an eye on him.  He WILL pee in the house and not necessarily in the kitchen.  I try to circumvent that by taking him out to walk about every two hrs or making him go out in the backyard for a bit.  I'm told dachshunds are notorious for peeing anyway and he is 10 years old too.  I send him out at night and I see him do is bark, bark, bark at who knows what?  Right now he is curled up in my spot on the couch and on my bathrobe.  Skyler is on the back of the couch curled up on that Friendship quilt that my friend V assembled and quilted for me.  They take turns curling up next to me, most evenings with that quilt on my lap.  I enjoy them but it means reading, knitting--anything but work in my sewing room.

I DID drag one machine out to the kitchen and did some cutting from the sub-cut sections of fabric for those chair pads.  I had done that at the last Belles meeting.  I started sewing on the over sized one for Robert's kitchen chair and it looked horrid!  I told Glynda she might want to see how it was looking before I went any further with it.  I had only cut two of the 6 out at that point. We left it that I would try another idea on one of the smaller pads and then decide if it would be okay.  I had done some streamlining and the 2nd one doesn't look too bad but I need to put some Velcro on it for closure and possibly take a little tighter seam in a few spots.  Those chair pads are on my weekend list.  The serger is also set up as this fabric ravels like crazy.   There are green threads all over the house but there is no point in cleaning any of it up till that task is completed.  I have a feeling that they are going to be like Christmas tree needles and keep showing up for months and months after, LOL.

 I had also done a few lines on Donna's 2nd quilt.  Well, I said lines but was trying a serpentine stitch with some purple variegated thread.   Every time I tried to get near the machine Skyler was stuck like glue to me.  I get Oscar squared away either outside or after he goes in his crate for the night, and then Skyler wants my attention.  It is NOT my quilt so I don't want him sitting on it.  I try to get him to move or set him down and he hops right back up.  And then he gets upset and bites and/or batts at me with his paw.  I finally put him out, closed the door and did those few rows of stitching.  Will probably have to that again next time.  He and Oscar both seem to jockey for attention, though dogs are more needy than cats, I find.

Last week was busy because I had outside meetings and such; this week started a bit like that too.   I finally got to the Social Security office to see about drawing my own SS or his.  I made it through the interview without crying until I thanked the woman who had helped me.  I got up to the Revenue Commissioner's office too.  DJ being over 65 we were eligible for tax exemption on the house but we had to take our income tax forms in from  2013, for example,  plus complete a few questions on their mailing and sign it in their presence.  His being gone left me wondering just how to check off "are you or spouse over 65?"  At least this time I did not draw that horrid public servant we got last year that I was ready to write to the commissioner about.  Needlessly rude and unhelpful.   This time I drew a woman who I used to see on the walking trail or park all the time so we did a bit of chatting about that.   Turns out, I needed to provide them with a copy of the death certificate and since I was going to be back downtown the next day for my appointment, they allowed me bring it then rather than about 20 miles round trip to go home and get it.  I should have thought of all that.  I had all that pulled, and more, for SSA.  So a few concerns are clearer now.

On the 15th the quilting pals who had done the Block of the Month at Ashville House this past year had a little quilt show with their completed tops.  They spread them out on tables at the Baptist Church near their shop for several hours.  This was in conjunction with the shop's 5th year anniversary as well.  The girls all needed to sign up for next years BOM and pay the 10 bucks.  I think this next is a more conventional format while I liked how they did things this year.  They gave the fabric but they all picked whatever pattern they wanted to do which made for all kinds of different tops.  I've got some pictures but will post them later.  I don't want to turn on the desktop to upload them to the computer etc.

I have been invited down to then neighbors for Thanksgiving dinner.  Plans have changed a bit in that I am to make pies now.  I'm thinking my classic no bake pumpkin pie that I have made for years and Dutch Apple Pie that DJ really liked.   Robert was telling me about his mom always making chocolate pies--one for his dad and one or his youngest sister and one to pass.  I said I wouldn't do pecan pie as I really don't like that--too cloyingly sweet.  It might be that I didn't like my previous attempts at making them, maybe with a different recipe it would be better.  Another guest can bring theirs, LOL.

(I shared some of this on Facebook today so if you follow me there it will be a bit of a repeat.  Read if you want some more background).

What I don't do is normally make crust as the store does a better job than me, generally.  Today, I thought I might try to remedy my fear of making crusts and try one of those chocolate meringue pies and take it down to the neighbors.  I  spotted a couple recipes in a cookbook but it is amazing to me what is assumed that one knows about cooking/baking when you look at how sketchy the instructions are!  I read up in three of my "expert" books last night---Schmidt's Master Recipes, Bittman's How to Cook Everything and Anderson's The Perfect Recipe.   Very detailed instructions in Schmidt's book--like 10 pages covering every aspect of pastry making.  I used Bittman's recipe for the filling and meringue though as it was less fussy.  The crust had a lot of steps, chilling times, following the instructions for a fully baked shell etc.  I followed the recipes and each step meticulously.   All day long deal almost.

So how did it turn out?  The filling tastes good but I wonder if is ever going to set up.  The unbaked leftovers are in a custard cup in the fridge and it still looks pudding like, not cut with a knife-able.  I took the pie down to them just before it got dark as it could cool there.   Don't know if the crust recipe was a keeper or not.  Knowing what I just said about the pie you might wonder how I could take them something that may not have turned out so well.   When I was talking with Glynda about the chair cushions, I told her I was going to make them a chocolate pie and practice up for next week, so to speak, with scratch pie crust.   About time I learned to do this better.

 Unfortunately, just as Oscar and I were climbing the few steps up the stairs I must have shifted the pie plate, the meringue cracked and I had a sweater dripping with chocolate filling!!  Worse yet,  when Glynda turned on the porch light I saw that it was also running down my jeans leg.  Amazingly, Oscar did not start licking my clothes with his great sense of smell.   I caught him licking my shoe but removed that temptation-- pronto.   I was pulling off my outer clothes as soon as I got us back in the house and right into the washer!  Glynda did say tonight that she was getting her MIL's recipe for her pie this weekend (and maybe that chocolate cake she told me about the other day) so I may be able to try it again but with store bought crusts!!  I won't have time to practice, come the big day.

This was actually day two of major cooking as I was in the kitchen a big chunk of the day cooking several different entrees and sides.   The dishwasher has gotten quite a workout, let me tell you. When I wasn't cooking the last two days, I was off to the store replenishing the pantry. Between what is in the freezer and stocking up on what I consider staples I can make just about anything (minus some meat).   Well providing I feel like cooking in the first place.  I've already said how much easier it is to just throw a sandwich together.  Not exactly a balanced diet with any variety to it---- and I am trying to do better.  Hopefully, I am good until mid week when I need to get the apples for the pie.  We are having a low key potluck at Belles next week and I could go in a couple different directions for my dessert type dish and won't have to decide till Monday.

I'm tired and can't think if anything else is going on around here.  I just know that I keep busy doing something most of the time.  The next thing I know, it is time or about time to go to bed.    One day whizzes by and then another.  Next thing you know, 2 weeks have passed.   How my life is going these days--------



4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you are keeping busy. I confess that although I used to make my own pie crust, now I buy it. I don't buy the preformed shells, but rather I get the pre-rolled out dough and shape it to my own dish. I have been getting the Great Value brand at Wal-Mart since my Winn-Dixie doesn't carry anything but the preformed shells.
    As for the time flying by, that has been happening to me a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the title to your post and thought - "Beats me!!" - Labor Day comes - I blink - and the next thing I know - Thanksgiving is next week! And I've made exactly ONE pie crust in my life - came out pretty good - but pies aren't my "thing". I still have the recipe if you want to try it - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you have been busy! love your choc pie story, I saw it on facebook but it was good the second time around, makes me smile, but you probably didn't think it was so funny at the time. Yes, store-bought pie crusts, keep it simple. So glad you are spending Thanksgiving with friends and neighbors, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...zoom...where did this year go? Your discussion about pies has made me hungry. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!