Aug 5, 2006

Saturday--goal setting and so forth

Goal setting and meeting of said goals--small steps and Daily Threads, like Hanne . No pics today--sorry!

Three hours or so assigned tasks done yesterday:

  • one chapter read and self exam taken on nursing CEU. I'm already done with that for today as well---6 more chapters to do
  • 40 inches of binding and label done but I worked on this for more like 2 hours
  • cat fabric and companion prints cut into a "Leap Frog" Top--like that green EQ sketch in my previous post

Today, I will again bind for an hour. I am also going to take a look at an old Santa applique piece that I had originally started light years ago as Christmas present for one of my SIL's and see what the hold up was with it. Vicky said at one point that she did the first weekend's sewing on a holiday project. I'll take on that challenge and see what I can do towards getting a UFO moved along. Might sew on the cat quilt or might not.

Not that I would advise baking pie in the dead heat of summer but here is the recipe I used yesterday. I have seen others with sour cream or vanilla pudding in them to cut the cloying sweetness of a typical pecan pie. This is the first time I tried this one and my husband was making "mmmmmm" noises. He loves my mashed potatoes so much that he was almost doing the same thing with those, LOL.

PECAN CREAM PIE
The pie will split into 3 layers---nuts on top, cream in the middle and the typical syrup textured layer goes to the bottom.

8 ounces cream cheese ( 1/3 less fat Neufchatel is fine) -- softened

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg

1 9 inch deep dish unbaked pie crust

1 1/4 cups chopped pecans


TOPPING
1/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons flour

3 eggs -- lightly beaten

1 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla


DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Blend the cream cheese, 1/3 C sugar, salt, vanilla and egg. Spoon into a pie crust and sprinkle the pecans on top.

For the topping, combine the sugar and flour and mix well. Add to the beaten eggs along with the corn syrup and vanilla. Mix well, Gently pour this mixture over the pecans.

Bake for about 55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set in the center. Allow to cool completely before slicing. Refrigerate leftovers.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! I'm not that big of a baker, but I do have a few pies I like to make now and then. Ever heard of a Ritz cracker Pie?

    I love that you got all your work done and I can't wait to see the Leap frog started and how it works up! Good going on the chapters and the testing...keep plotting along and you will have it done in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, looks like you are off and running, a great start for the month. Thanks for the pie recipe. I hadn't thought about making it, but now I am..*VBG* It does sound delish!
    I'm working on getting motivated enough to pin a quilt into the standing frame. The day is cool and overcast with showers predicted through the weekend. Already you get a sense of summer losing it's grip. The grass just cheered for the long heavy rain a couple of nights ago, and is already looking greener. To late for many of the farm crops tho. Guess we look for higher prices on everything this fall and winter. And if that wasn't painful enough, gas at my local station hit $3.15.9 yesterday. You couldn't think 7 cents more a gallon is that much..but ouch!! I'm off to the sewing room, have a great weekend!! Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good going yesterday Linda ! I am cheering you on today !
    I am alternating between two projects that I need done asap - the pillow for DSisIL and a napkin holder for niece.
    Now to an hour with the pillow again.
    The pie sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie recipe sounds delicious. I will try it as soon as I get all the ingredients. I have my son and family staying with me right now so won't have to eat most of the pie by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on meeting your goals. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on achieving your goals.
    Thanks for posting your recipe. Another one of your recipes to try out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pie sounds delish. My husband's favorite is pecan pie. The fact that he ate a whole pie without getting sick as a child is a story that gets told over and over in his family. I shall try your recipe and hope that he lets me have a slice *s*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, that pie sounds wonderful. I never had pecan pie before, but I love pecans, so what's not to like?
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!