May 27, 2015

checking in

I noticed a huge spike (like 500 people???)  in page views for some reason. Maybe some friends and/or family members are checking in to see if I have updated the blog. Or looking for the photos from yesterday's quilt meeting. (Lois had 5 quilts to turn in and 2 to pin---and they are beauties!) The reason doesn't matter, I'm just speculating, LOL.

There were only 4 of us at the meeting yesterday for various reasons.  It being so close to the Memorial Day weekend, I have in the past cancelled the meeting but we still had a good time together and left for lunch back in town since the three of us going live in the mid and northern end of the county.  Wouldn't you know we ran into Bev coming out of Wendy's and she had left a few minutes earlier than we had!  Terri joined us when Jane was able to get her on the cell.

Bev had been busy making yo-yo's while I was cutting diamond sections from the strip sets I had sewn last meeting.  Jane and Lois teamed up at the pinning table.  Below is one of the tops---Lois got her diamond quilt done while I'm still piddling around with strip sets, LOL.    This is "Maddie Bea's Quilt", designed by Phyllis Anderson using her Sweet 'N Sassy templates and featured in her book Diamond Quilts.  Love it in the fall tones.   Lois said she was not happy with the bias edges that resulted in the left and right hand sides cutting it as written.  I told her we should be able to figure out how to make a template that is on straight of grain.  She told me in essence "to go for it", LOL.  It will be awhile before I personally need it but I know she'll make another of these from our conversation.





Lois asked me if I had brought my camera when she came in as she had quilts to turn in.  I had but had almost forgotten it in my rush to get out the door.  I had not packed up the night before as the stuff I thought I might cut was still sitting on the kitchen table while the camera was elsewhere in the house.

 Knowing I would ask, this time she had a note attached to this quilt.   Funny!  The outside blocks are "Pinwheel Fancy" by Bonnie Hunter while the inside section are "Triangle Tango" by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company fame and featured in "Block" magazine.   There is a video tutorial for that but she calls it Falling Triangles and it uses layer cakes.  I'll have to see about doing it with charm packs for  special little lady in MY life.



This is a Bargello quilt and I am fairly sure it uses the Billie Lauder pattern as I have one similar to it playing off the butterfly fabric with a black background.



The picture does NOT do this one justice.  Emily's Wedding Quilt from Fons and Porter.  The quilt has taken the fancy of more than one area quilter and was first spotted at a retreat some went to in Attalla.



This is Anita Grossman Solomon Arrowhead. How about that monkey border fabric?  Too cute.  BTW, the pattern is still available for download.   I know a couple of online friends got into making these after I mentioned and linked to this a few months back, LOL.  Gene combined his with an Old Italian block alternating and it can be seen HERE with some of his amazing quilting.



This is Lois' version of Pioneer Sampler designed by Eleanor Burns.  The dogwood print is lovely but that yellow piece with the pink really pulls the whole quilt together.  Well done, Lois!



There you have it for today's quilt show, LOL.

`````````````````````````
Today I have mainly done errands and walked.  I am continuing to walk 6 days out of 7 and usually 7 laps for 1.96 miles.  Then I come home and walk Oscar who is waiting (outside) for his breakfast but then so am I, come to think of it.    I am still more or less "thinking" about sewing but not actually getting to it.  Read quite a bit over the weekend doing the "Advocate Series" by Teresa Burrell.  4 books had been free on Book Bub or OHFB but I started the 5th one last night.  That's how they get you hooked, I guess but still good that the others were free.  Not complaining.

Around the neighborhood, they finally mowed the yard across the lane but they did not clean up any of the brush on this side of the fence in the easement.  If anything, they added to the sticks and branches as they got the lawn tractor stuck on the combination of sloping yard and tree "droppings".  Robert kind of mows what he can even though it is their yard.  The painting crew is still busy working almost daily though.  I still think they are going to flip this house but we'll see.

Next door, had a tree removal crew in but they basically just cut away all the volunteer trees and took down the tree that had split and landed on their fencing.  Good riddance for that thing as it still could have taken down our lines again had it fell the opposite direction.  The tree I thought they wanted down to put up the carport still remains UP.   Hmmm.

The house across the main road is still for sale.  Kids are done with school as graduation was this past Thursday.   Robert and Glynda are into gardening this summer so I see them out watering the various plantings a good bit.    We have had rain in the forecast every day since Sunday and clear up to next Monday but it has not really been anything much measurable at my house.

The only thing I see flowering in my yard is the angel trumpet lilies under the Rose of Sharon bush.  There are day lilies in that mess too but I don't see them yet.  Gardenias should be coming out sometime but that thing might still be recovering from the severe cutting back I did last year.  I have also managed to just about kill the house plant that DJ had nutured for 30 plus years.  Not even sure what it is but a common house plant that hangs down.  It was a plant that his son had gotten when he was in the hospital in the early 80's, DJ said.  We'll see if it manages to bounce back or if I should not be trusted with any growing thing besides my critters, that is.  The aloe vera plant survives in spite of me.

Guess that is it for this installment.  Hope you all had a safe holiday weekend.


3 comments:

  1. I've noticed that, too. Twice I've had spikes in page views, like 600+ in one day. In my case, I'm sure it was a glitch! Great quilts, thanks for sharing such inspiration. I have a messy neighbor, too, but instead of brush, it's junk. Very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the quilt show and I didn't even have to leave my desk! Kudos on getting all that walking done, I need to do that. I am also 'thinking' about sewing without getting any actually done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt show! I, too, am plant challenge. It is survival of the fittest for plants at my house. My aloe vera is hanging in there in spite of me, too. Hope you had a good weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!