Nov 23, 2012

knitting ahead

My early Christmas present arrived today---woohoo! 15 different sizes of US 0 to US 15  2mm to 10 mm bamboo 8 inch long double points--5 in each size.

I had decided to try knitting this next hat on double points to avoid the seaming.  I probably need to set this up on 4 needles instead of 3 but that is how I  learned to do double points for mittens.  Of course mittens are way smaller in diameter than 72 stitches for a hat and one's head.  In the meantime I had put the tip protectors on either end to keep from dropping stitches which I had done a time or two while working on the ribbing. 

These can be found at http://www.StitchBerry.com but I found this set of them at amazon.com for 40 bucks off.  I've not tried bamboo needles before but I'll see how they work soon enough.

Well, back to sewing for me.  I had gotten a suggestion for re-sizing my pictures from Linda in KS and my lefthanded quilter pals so got myself side tracked doing that on the new "old" blog here and a few posts on the archived site.  It will be time consuming but should help the storage issues in the end.  The only way I know to be sure that I am not deleting an image I need too----no watermark.

Pokey today but no one ever said that I had to break the land speed record with this piecing. 


4 comments:

  1. You can introduce that 4th needle easily. I make sure to place a safety pin type marker in the knitted fabric close to the end of the round so I always know which is the last needle. Just divide the stitches as evenly as you can on to the needles. I work my hats on a 16" circular needle and then when I get to the decreases, I switch to dpn. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you planning on doing some serious knitting!

    Good to hear that you worked out a way to increase your storage capacity. I never thought of re-sizing my pictures to increase available storage space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't knit much so I was going to ask why you needed "5" in each size - UNTIL I realized that you set some stuff up on 3 and/or 4 needles - DUH!! Guess I should get out of my box more often - ;)) And I LOVE "Pokey" - that's my regular speed - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your resized picture looks good. I bet you're going to really like those bamboo needles. I have a bamboo crochet hook (I don't knit)and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!