Sep 17, 2014

Lick Skillet Quilt Show

This past Friday and Saturday (September 12 and 13) the Lick Skillet Quilt Guild held there first ever quilt show at the Oxford Civic Center.  I went on Saturday because I was still busy sewing on Friday and attending the quilt show made for a nice break away from home and machine.  Also I knew that some friends from Friendship Quilters would be attending then and I might see them.  Ordinarily it would have been our meeting day but it was cancelled as some of the group was off to the AQS show in Chattanooga and some of us are either Lick Skillet members too or like, wanted to support the local show.

These were a few that caught my eye though I wish I had gotten a picture of Brenda's unusual flying geese pattern quilt.   Because she gave the pattern source in the program I can link to someone else's version online.  http://cheaperthantherapyquilting.blogspot.com/2012/03/no-worries.html   It is called "Dizzy Geese" by Joan K. Streck and was featured in the book Quick Quilts from Your Scrap Bag.   Actually, I had gotten to the last row of quilt before I remembered that I had stuck my camera in my purse so it made it harder to track down the ones I liked.  Especially since I was stopping to talk with folks that I knew, LOL.

I was not all organized and marked the program with the pictures I took but some of these I knew the quilter.   Can't read the numbers on the drapes either.  This first one I think of as a split star






This one is "Anchors Aweigh" by Julie W.  Her husband is retired Navy.  She made it for him for Christmas but knowing that the show was coming up, she would not let him use it yet, LOL.  Julie is one of our Belles though Lick Skillet is her main group.


Surely this was foundation pieced.  Not sure about maker.  This is possibly from the Debby Kratovil workshop they had???  But sure looks a bit like a Judy Niemeyer pattern too.  I probably mispelled that name.


This is one of Brenda's quilts.  Grandma's Country Album II  Robert Callahan design, I think from McCall's Quilting Magazine 1999



Brenda's "Oceans of Fire"  Project in a magazine and she hangs it during the summer months



Carolyn D.  Civil War Legacies II--"Baskets for Betsy"


Shawnee who comes to Belles on occasion made this one.  "A Giant Labor of Love"  made for her daughter and son-in-law as a wedding gift.  Design source:  Trash to Treasures Pineapple Quilts by Gyleen Fitzgerald, inspired by "Noodle Soup"



Carolyn D.  "Cactus Wreath"  by Cozy Quilt Designs and designed by Georgette Dell'Orco




I saw several of these as they were done as the guild mystery quilt.  This one is Julie W's version and she called it"The Plot Thickens".  It could be a pattern from Cozy Quilt Designs called "Hanging Gardens".  She left the borders off for a couch throw, she told me.



This one has a split nine patch/Chiclet feel to it but I liked the set.  Do not know the maker




This is my friend Bev's music quilt.  I have seen this one in progress as she was binding it at one of hte last meetings.  



They also had a display of sewing machines and quilts in vignettes of the eras set up in another room along with their numerous country store items.   I got a bag of fabric for just three bucks loaded with all the fabrics you see pictures.  Mostly fat quarters but a few pieces larger.  2nd picture is a little fuzzy but it was in the same bag of goodies.




I think someone was making tea bag holders and mug rugs out of the coffee items as I saw some of those for sale.  The only other thing I got was that little scrubber thing on the bottom right.  I planned on stopping for lunch before I went home.  I also made a quick trip out to the exchange and Hobby Lobby for some supplies I needed to complete some upcoming projects.  Trust me, I was NOT the only one who had been to the quilt show first either.  I saw at least 10 people who had, like me, just come from there!

I didn't get home till about 2 so I had a good  time away from home for a little while anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I hated that I didn't get to attend the show. I had another engagement out of town that couldn't be changed.
    The purple is surely paper pieced. It looks like a Judy Niemeyer pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the show with us. The eye candy was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!