Feb 24, 2007

sewing the day away


Still sewing the away for the past three days----

Thursday's output was backing for three tops, binding for two more and applying borders to two tops that Jeanne had sent for donation. I had planned to refer back to her old blog for pictures of the tops but see that something weird has highjacked it---oh, my!! Her long time readers may recall a Delectable Mountain top she did in orange-peach-rust tones as well as neat rail fence with skinny strips in blues and greens. (I promise I will get pictures of them once they are quilted)

Jeanne helped me out by cutting the binding and borders for the DM and provided the backing for both tops. I did some slight remodeling on the Rail Fence as it was a tad long. I took the last two rows off and moved one row plus 2 blocks around to the side but had to re-sew them so the rail went the right direction and zigzagged like they are supposed to. The other block will probably land in another top down the line--that strippie thing worked out pretty good earlier in the month, after all.

I started off Friday morning by making the binding for the Rail Fence and then moved onto the top you see above which I just finished a little bit ago. This one uses the "giant" modified nine patch blocks technique that are later quartered using a technique from Slice 'Em & Dice 'Em by Nancy Brennan Daniel. It probably says in the book somewhere NOT to use directional prints. But I did and then found myself ripping off the sashing bits to turn them upright. I overcut the amount of 6 1/2 inch squares but that worked to my advantage in the end.

This is a stash buster all the way around. I got the bright idea to make 8 of the larger nine patches but needed to dig out a similiar bright green in order to sash them. Then decided that I needed another row this morning. Not enough of the black hotwheels fabric---use another airplane. Couldn't find anymore of that red print since I used it all in the RR Crossing as part of the backing. I found the leftover RR crossing sashing bits since it used the same print cornerstones, removed them and sewed them together in a four patch to squeeze out the last row square. The print transporation squares were some that Ginny gave me, some fabrics from the donation box, a few fat quarters I owned. There are Finn's dots too. Maybe not the most gorgeous quilt ever made but I hope that a young boy will enjoy it even if all does not match---its close enough and I wanted it that way!! (right?)

I will use the fabric at right for the backing--not sure who it came from now. Finn, does it look familiar? I'll need to sew about an 8 inch band of fabric on it for length and that same yellow that I used in the RR crossing will work for that. Too neat to cut this up in small pieces.

Next up: another one from the kit basket-- Frog in race car Snuggle Up. After that, I am cutting out two more. One will use this beetle fabric in this configuration. It is inspired by a Ursula Reickes' pattern from one of the quilts for baby books but I re-drew it in EQ to eliminate the seams that result in a block to block set. I see a series of background and center squares alternating with a pieced four patch so drew it up that way. Triangles on a roll will work well here. Then there is some dalmatian fabric from the donation box that is calling to me too though I best decide what I am doing with it first, LOL. Patience Corner, maybe as I haven't done one of those for awhile.
Well, that backing and binding is not going to sew itself. Back to work.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you constantly amaze---and inspire--me! You accomplish so much. Way to go. I recently bought the Slice 'Em and Dice 'Em book and am anxious to play with the ideas in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your latest quilt. What a great way to use large scale prints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big prints are always a challenge but you mastered it very well! I love how the framed 4 Patch turned out. It is perfect for a young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been a VERY busy girl...wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,your quilts are a pleasure for my eyes!!! Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I sure admire all the work you do. These quilts are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any little boy would be thrilled to have this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!