Feb 9, 2007
The group did not make the trip about an hour or so north of here after all as we were under a winter weather advisory from about 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. this evening. Figures, doesn't it? The one weekend that we plan something? There was a chance of sleet, freezing rain etc so we thought it best not to chance it. I will probably go tomorrow for the day--it's downright cold and damp but no precip in the forecast.
I did do a bit of sewing here at home though. NOT on any of the 7 kits I just cut, LOL. I had been considering combining some of the leftover blocks from previous projects and digging out a few blocks that we had made along the way and doing something with them. This morning I thought that a strippie might fill the bill--48 inches across would work for 6 or 8 inch blocks. DJ got up to find me digging in the bins for the blocks I had set aside. I hit the machine shortly after that, working in my pj's till about 1030.
Inventorying the blocks on hand I had found that the 9 inch finished nine patches would just need one more segment to get the length I wanted. I pulled a couple apart to rearrange them into a checkerboard. (The 9 patches and the framed nine patches were leftover from the two tops I assembled a week or so back.) I made one more framed nine patch block and borrowed one of Nancy's pink and browns for a little more variety of color. Made a three more album cross blocks so I could repeat that row again. I only needed to make one more 3D bowtie to complete that row. The hearts were from a old BOM from several years past---good chance to put some of them to use as well.
I am debating what color to use for sashing between the rows and the left/right border. I have a nice medium sky blue on hand that might work. A tan? I used some of it for a block background---it might just fade in? Black or navy? Not sure that I have enough on hand of either of those. I'll let the blocks hang for a while to see what trips my trigger but will take suggestions. Just feels good to move these blocks along--not doing much good piled up and waiting till who knows when. A something from nothing top that looks bright and cheerful. Maybe not the loveliest quilt ever made but hopefully it has some "kid" appeal.
I made the few half blocks and four patches for the Road to St. Louis that were needed to complete those kit components along with the missing framed 4 patches needed. What I probably should have been doing was sewing and applying the binding for that t-shirt quilt. Naw, I felt compelled to sew--after all, I have been waiting to do just that while working on the commissioned piece, quilting all those tops and cutting for two days.