Dec 4, 2011

Sunday check in

No surprise but I have set aside the hand finishing details on the Pioneer Sampler Plus in the last few posts.  I'll get back to it but there are a couple other things that need attention first.

The block at left is one of them.   It is the challenge block for the Friendship Quilters Guild and due on this coming Saturday.  While I did not participate in the block of the month, others did.  The organizers suggested the Christmas 2003 block from Quilter's Cache for anyone that wanted to make one.  I don't believe that there is going to be any voting on them for a favorite or anything like that.  I figure I can always use a 12 inch finished block for my Adapted Oxmoor House Christmas quilt so I'll bite, LOL.

One thing though the downloaded gif did not print anywhere near the scale listed on the block.  I drew it up in EQ and made a little adjustment in the drawing so the rings would be even on the edges.  My first attempt was not, LOL.  When I inspected the printout outs I could see why and fixed it.  My block, my drawing ....... it will look the way I want.

When I started pulling fabrics last night I started with other fabrics but eventually it ended up being some leftover "antiqued" Moda Robyn Pandolph fabrics that I had used to make a Lazy Girl Towne Purse with years ago.   I did the rough cutting for the foundation piecing last night.  I had the tree section pieced before I started this post.

Yesterday my friend Teresa and I made the run up to Wilson's Fabrics in Boaz (AL).  I was on the hunt for the white on cream that I had used for the Christmas Patience Corner I spoke about in my last post..  I want to make the top biggers and had run out of the available fabric and cut a substitute as well but was STILL short.  Armed with my swatches we took off.   I found something very similar---it will be okay and elected to go with it and the original piece of fabric.  I can use the strips I already cut from the alternative for something else down the line.   I got the remaining yardage on the bolt---a hair over 5 yards and can use it for background on the next 30's quilt or whatever.  I also found a nice Michael Miller stripe that I will use for bias cut binding.

Teresa meanwhile found a little somethin' to make a gift from the heart for her hard to shop for hubby.  I helped her with a little of the design work in EQ when we got back.   She was going to have to tell Joe not to ask so many questions and lock the door to her sewing area or his surprise would be ruined.   I told her she could come over and sew here if she had to.  Surely he will behave!

So back to sewing on the Christmas block.  Next up Norma's birthday present.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!