Sep 23, 2012

How about some quilt show pictures?

A few of the quilts at the Gadsden Quilt Guild show at Nocculula Falls Friday and Saturday. I told you that I went up on Thursday to help set up. I also went up yesterday afternoon to help take them down but I took pictures before that happened.

The guild is very small and mostly older members. Gary always opens the show up to any of the area quilt groups to participate or there probably would not be enough quilts to put on a show. He has considered just doing this every other year apparently but Jane said that since things went so smoothly with set up and take down, that he was already talking about next year. That doesn't sound like skipping a year, LOL.

So anyway----how about some quilt pictures? Some I don't know anything about and have no idea of who to credit. Some, I do know a little something.  The racks were up in a different configuration this year so it may have made it a little easier to get pictures but some spots the lighting is not near as good.


This is Gary's "My Blue Heaven"  Hand quilted--and very well done.  It should have had best of show but he told me later that it has already been honored several other places (Quilt Symposium, Gadsden Museum of Art etc) that he displayed it but it was not in contention.  The bottom had to be pinned up so as not to drag on the floor.



This one is a donation quilt that will be going to the county DHR.  They always set up a spot to display the pro bono quilts---either on the walls or quilt racks.  This one particularly caught my eye.





Sue Ann's Round Robin----Jacksonville (AL) Piecemakers group.  They did a bang up job on the two I have seen completed!




I think this is JoAnn's quilt----one of the ladies that was helping with set up.  Lovely bargello quilt!



Christmas wall hanging---I do not know the maker.  Cute, huh?


Brenda from my quilt group (and others!) made this Garden Rail quilt.  She hold told me that she and group of quilters had purchased yardage as group from Thousands of Bolts and then they divided it up amongst the participants so they each had a similar quilt when finished.  It is fairly long so had to be pinned up.   The  lighting is not making this show up as pretty as it is in person.




Aline's Round Robin---Jacksonville Piecemaker's group.


I thought this one was pretty---folk arty and you know I like that!  Maker unknown to me.



A husband and wife team did this one as well as the one hung behind it.  It took Best of Show.  Congrats, Howard and Kathy!   I could NOT back up very far to take a decent picture of it.  The wall was about 6 foot away and a rail in front of a trophy case took up any available space.



I believe that this one was a guild project.  Very well done.



This was another of Sue Ann's entries.  Lovely!  My February Button Up was hung next to it.  Art next to Folk Art.  Gary said since I had 8 of my Button Up pieces that he should have made them be their own category and I would be sure to get all three ribbons----naw, that is cheating unless you have a category for pieced and appliqued small wall hangings, LOL.



Edna C. got a blue ribbon for this small wall hanging and 2nd place entry on another entry---which one I do not remember.  She does consistently good work and uses a good bit of batiks in her stuff.  This is deserving of its accolades.



Brenda from my group made this adorable Halloween themed wall hanging.  Too, too cute!






Edna C. got a blue ribbon for this small wall hanging and 2nd place entry on another entry---which one I do not remember.  She does consistently good work and uses a good bit of batiks in her stuff.  This is deserving of its accolades.



I will do another post in a minute with some other quilt show news.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. GREAT photos - GREAT quilts!! Tell Brenda that her Halloween quilt is giving me ideas for my Gingerbread men panel blocks - ;))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!