Nov 20, 2015

checking in

It has been a fairly quiet week around here and not a whole lot to report.  6 month check-up with the MD and then some followup tests since one lab test was a bit hinky.  I'm still waiting for some follow-up lab reports.  I feel fine so was surprised to see the results "off" like that.  My doctor will go over the overview in early December.

On Saturday Beverly called to see if she could get some quilts for some neighbors in need.  Sure, I said.  How old are the kids and boy or girl quilts?  I knew I needed to update the quilt document and verify that I had pictures taken and numbers on the quilts.  I found several that should keep the family cozy and ran those over to Beverly for her and Jack to deliver.  While I was at it, I refolded and restacked the present inventory.  I know that Lois has 8 more at home that I will photograph at the December meeting.   This is till I figure out where we will donate them.  Some smaller ones, I will mail to headquarters with my challenge quilt top as the quilters that made them will not care about the destination.  Others prefer to donate them closer to home.  I oblige.

Tuesday evening my friends Jane and Hugh invited me along to a mostly Christmas music program presented by the Oxford Community Chorus at the Oxford Performing Arts Center.   Fun night out.  Two of the selections were from Handel's Messiah  the classic "For Unto Us a Child is Born" and the "Hallelujah Chorus" but they also opened with "The Star-Spangled Banner" and later, "This is My Country".

Wednesday basically it rained.  Another 2 inches in the gauge.  Last year was mild drought in our area.  This year we are about 6 inches over those totals.  Fortunately the last two days have cleared up quite nicely.  My neighbor to the left had part of the half dead large tree cut out and gravel laid over the mud hole the vehicle had left in their "drive" yesterday.   The trees are thinning down, the Bradford Pears are finally changing to red.  Some are bare.  We seemed to have escaped the two recent frost warnings.  It is fall, after all.

I've not made it to the sewing machine this week.  Going to the concert interferred with that sewing time at the church with friends but there is hope for the weekend.  I THINK the weather is going to be clear though cooler overnights.  I see some baking ahead if that comes to pass.   There is some grated zucchini, several batches from the summer surplus,  up in the freezer to use up.  Mom's Zucchini Bread from all recipe is good from past experience.

The only true cooking I did this week was a batch of Italian Wedding Soup.  I used Ina Garten's meatballs but subbed out the ground chicken for some ground turkey I had on hand.  I did not have chicken sausage on hand either but defrosted some pre-cooked pork sausage patties from the freezer and then minced those up in food processor.  Turned out pretty tasty.   Here is the rest of the soup--sort of a take off on a California Wedding Soup.    I used quick cooking barley.

3 14-oz. cans chicken broth
1 tablespoon prepared pesto or 2 T shredded fresh basil leaves
1 clove minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks
2 green onions, sliced but I used regular onion
2 cups finely sliced escarole or you can use 1/2 pkg of chopped, frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup orzo (rice shaped pasta) OR quick cooking barley
1/2 can white beans, rinsed and drained

I used quick cooking barley (and frozen spinach) but that was because I was thinking about trying a Greek Orzo Salad--still am, LOL and have the ingredients on hand to do so.  
And that it is how it goes around here.  A binge cooking day is coming, right after I get some groceries tomorrow. 

 I WILL ask you to say a little prayer for my great-nephew Wyatt and his parents Amber and Greg.  He is now up to about 9 lbs and that is a miracle right there since he started life about 3 1/2 months early and at 20 oz.  He had several surgical procedures today (5 hrs worth)  and will remain hospitalized till those lungs get stronger and he recovers from the surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Prayer for Wyatt and I'll keep him in my thoughts until he gets home. Amazing how far he has come along. Hope the latest bld results are good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!