Mar 14, 2007

quilts and quilt meetings

A few pictures to share of recently completed donation quilts

A couple of the girls are doing 16 patches lately--I've got one to stitch up too, as a matter of fact, in a Road to St. Louis setting. This is Theramae's simply sashed and cornerstoned version. She used a small check for the cornerstones and then used the same fabric for the binding cut on the bias.


Theramae is calling this one "Dotty Rickrack". Fits doesn't it? The pattern is actually called Streak of Lightning and can be found in the book 101 Fabulous Rotary Cut Quilts from Judy Hopkins and Nancy J. Martin---this was a compliation of some of their earlier books like Rotary Roundup and Rotary Riot so it might be in either of those publications too. She had used some of these same fabrics to make a wallhanging for her school teacher daughter's class room and used it all up by making scrappy binding from the fabrics leftover from the quilt top.

Aline's Log Cabin

Aline's Butterfly Challenge quilt

I met my objective of emptying out a couple of the donation bins at our meeting site. One box was too big and unwieldy and cracked on both the lid and the container so it had to go! I was busily tossing some of the poly cotton stuff and so forth when one of the new members who is getting up a group at her church to make lap robes came in. She thought they might be able to use it and hauled a large garbage bag off for their needs. I certainly don't care who uses it. Theramae also was taking some of it to the Salvation Army for donation.

We located the tops and race car fabric kits that I knew where in there. Hung the tops up with backing fabric to pin at a later date while two others need some modifications for our needs. Theramae has one and I took another. Lois, Theramae and I all have a race car kit with more to tend to later--probably at the spring sew-in next month. Lois got busy cutting some strips for Theramae and then on some of the selvageable bits and pieces. We can put on our creative caps and come up with some stuff there.

I still made several trips out to the dumpster and some fabric did follow me home. Backing stuff or something I could work up as whole cloth quilts or another purpose. Since we pinned so many tops last meeting, we just did the one leftover top. So many of the girls had other obligations (an out of town meeting, one just had cataract surgery, family obligations, leaving on vacation the next day, etc) that just a few of us were there this time and we called it quits earlier than usual.

DJ and I were tenatively planning on going out of town today and out for lunch but I am feeling a little "puny" today. We'll try again on Friday, weather permitting. He is doing some outside home maitenance and started the laundry. LOL, my priority was washing some fabric and a couple of quilts. The heck with the clothing! Since I still have 5 quilts to quilt, I think you know where you can find me for a few days, right?

4 comments:

  1. Your group puts together such great quilts, its always a pleasure (and inspiration) to see them. Hope you are over feeling puny and can enjoy some time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the quilt show Linda, hope you are feeling much improved today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dotty Ric Rack is darling. You gals accomplish a lot and it sounds like a lot of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More fabulous quilts from the ladies!! Everything looks bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!