No Name Nine Patch Duo tutorial

Google Documents and Spreadsheets may have made it possible to post this handout I had once shared with my quilt group. This is an experiment on posting a document on hand to my blog. (It may have messed up my sidebar temporarily, from what I could tell before editing). This might open up another way of sharing information on my blog!!

NO NAME NINE PATCH DUO


One of the Bama Belles saw a picture of a quilt that I had made several years ago from some donation fabric and wondered how to make this. It is technically called “No-Name Four Patch Duo” and the original pattern was found in Marti Michell’s book Quilting for People Who Still Don’t Have Time to Quilt. Publisher: American School of Needlework ISBN 0-88195-863-8 .

I did not follow the directions, however as it makes more sense to me to do this as an uneven nine patch. I renamed it. There are two separate blocks that comprise this graphically interesting quilt.



BLOCK 1


BLOCK 2

I made my blocks 7 inch finished but really you could make them any size you wish. You may want the smaller strips a bit wider and it is your quilt so feel free to do size. If you want to do yours as shown cut 5 ½ inch strips x width of fabric (WOF) in three colors, light, dark and a contrasting colored fabric. Also cut 1 ½ inch strips of each one. If my calculations are correct, four strips of each color and in each size should do it. You will probably need at least a yard of each color to make the body of the quilt as shown EXCLUDING borders and binding.

My quilt as pictured featured 5 blocks by 7 with a 2 inch inner border and folded inset border and a 3.5 inch wide outer border and finished about 50 x 63—right in range for our donation quilts or a lap quilt.

Basically you need to make four different strip sets and then cut into 5 ½ and 1 ½ inch sub-sections. Join the sections as shown to make the blocks shown on page 1. 18 of one (light-dark-light) and 17 of the alternating block (dark-light-dark)




Do the same thing with the dark-light-dark combination to form the alternating block. There you have it!!

Comments

  1. pretty snappy graphics and pattern LJ!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! How did you do your graphics--EQ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...great pictures. How did you do the graphics? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt and your graphics turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the quilt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda, I love your tutorial...! Great job on explaining what looks very complicated!! I think I will have to give this one a try. And for what it's worth...your whole blog looks to be intact. Hugs, FInn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt! It looks simple to put together, and another one for those fabrics that are almost too pretty to cut up. Thank you!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pattern, I imagine it would be a great quilt for a man, depending on the fabric choices. That's what I thought of immediately. Thanks for sharing it. Darn, my 'to do ' list gets longer everytime I check bloglines!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very graphic quilt - thanks for sharing the instructions with us. A girl can never have too many patterns *s*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you made it so easy!! I'll have to print this out for future quilt making. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!

Popular posts from this blog

this and that

A sort of tutorial for a tshirt quilt--EDITED

copy cat!