A little of this and that and then I have to get back to work on the t-shirt quilt. First let me thank you all for your comments about the Bama Belles sew-in. I know just how much I am blessed to have them to sew with. We have fun and get a lot done. I know I hear them say "I get more done at home" and heck, I've even said that myself a time or two but the point really is, I sew by myself all the rest of the time without eating someone else's cooking and the fellowship involved with working with a group.
Here is the cute little turkey center quilt that Veronica sent me for the quilt base of my calendar themed wallhanging. Isn't it adorable? I guess she has made 4 of these now??? Going like hotcakes for her clients! Thanks again, Veronica!
Here is what I am really working on--not sure how well the whole thing will show up but I have the first column done. I switched things around a little bit on the first one due to the colorations of the shirts. I already sewed the "wrong" one on twice leading me to think that it was going to be a long day at the machine. Fortunately things straightened out a bit.
I have wondered when I was joining sections of shirt to shirt if I should go buy some heavier machine needles or even a ball point needle since some of it is knit but that doesn't seem as problematic right now either. I can already tell that I am going to have to go over to the church to put the borders on as there is absolutely no place in this house to spread this out to measure it once the other rows are added. You really have to watch out that the iron doesn't get too close to the rubbery printed on stuff on the shirts. Mostly I have been finger pressing-- a lot but I do that anyway.
At right is the EQ sketch that I worked out for the placement and sashing bits. I am probably going to pre-sash the block though before I join it with its mate. I drew it up that way because it was easier for me on custom set. It was also the reason why I didn't want to re-set the center square of the quilt---don't want to re-size each and every blessed strip and square. I just cropped it for the snapshot and the heck with the illusion of binding on the right side--probably won't be black anyway. The color blocks will just help me with "what goes where" as I cannot replicate the t-shirt motifs.
The khaki color sashing was NOT my idea but I supposed it does work on everything but the gray. Black was my first choice but Mom suggested something that looked like the son's pants--khaki that would go with any future decorating scheme. Then later, some black shirts were tossed into the mix so it probably was the better choice after all. My husband is being oh, so supportive about the quilt---NOT! He took one look and went "ugh" or "yuck"--not his cup of tea but then he never wears t-shirts other than the plain ole white ones under his shirts. Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. Only been working on it some aspect of it for over a week now minus the sew in days and one day to recupe--what a huge waste of time seeking your approval. SHEESH
Oops almost forgot--someone asked me about the table that Lois had around her machine in my previous post. (Sorry I don't know who off the top of my head and I am sooooo behind on reading blogs and emailing). Her talented husband made that for her. He is also the guy I need to see about getting the wooden handle replaced on my favorite "grandma" pan (nice big heavy saucepan) as he does wood turning too, LOL. Thing is, I can't be without my pan long enough or it is in the dishwasher when I think about it.
Back to work............