Aug 10, 2012

How did this happen?

In a blink of an eye, it would seem I went from this---------



Age 2, maybe 3??




Age 6 in my paternal grandparents kitchen  


And this past October 2011 about to enter round number territory.  Hair is a bit longer but just as gray.  



My brother who will be passing this same threshhold in 16 months  asked me if I was going to celebrate this one or just let it go by.   I think maybe I am coming to terms with the fact that I am getting older----key word is maybe.  I didn't used to feel old---these days Mother Nature is making it abundantly clear that I am getting there, LOL, in spite of my wanting to will away the inevitable.  Happens to all of us, right?  

I don't want to hear any of that stuff about "any day above ground is a good day" or "better than the alternative" or "age is mind over matter---if you don't mind, it doesn't matter".  Just quit, okay?  Let me wallow in it a bit.  I'll give myself a talking to/pep talk later.  When I turned 30 I was almost despondent.  I wasn't married, had no children and I was sure it would have happened before then.   Double that number now and I am resigned to it.  I married too late to have kids---my life may or may not have turned out as I planned but it is the hand I was dealt.

I just received word last week that my old 7th grade crush was killed in as a result of injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash.  Mike was a good guy --- maybe he got to 60 and maybe he didn't.  Other friends have wrestled with serious illness and come out on the other side.  I have been fortunate not to have had near those problems.  What could I possibly be bellyaching about?   That is what I told my mom a few days ago.

Here is what else I decided is okay about birthdays.  I like birthday cake as long as I don't have to make it.  I like dinner out at a more upscale restaurant with my husband.  I like having a bit more spending money to support my quilting habit.  So yeah, I'll be the queen for a day because that is the only time I get away with being so self centered.   Happy Birthday to me!

_______________
So how am I spending my day so far?  About like any other so far.

I finished the long side of binding that remained from yesterday's binding binge.  I still want to hand quilt around the watermelon seeds but I need to get some black quilting thread and WM had everything but.




I baked another sheet cake----this time my old TNT Tex-Mex version.  (Yesterday was Peanut Butter Sheet Cake---new to me recipe).  Aline, Jane and I are the refreshment girls at Friendship Quilter's Guild tomorrow.  I baked the two cakes and prepped a veggie tray as my part of the deal.





This afternoon---more binding on the other wall hanging but DJ is taking me out to Outback Steakhouse.  I want some coconut shrimp though I think he will probably go for steak.  

I am going to go see if this "not a birthday" cake has cooled enough for me to put it up and er. test for quaility control purposes.    THX for stopping by




5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Linda! Enjoy your supper out and your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to YOU!! Have a happy day and enjoy your ooconut shrimp!! And what is it with the round number birthdays? I'm half-way between two of them this year - one in my rear-view and another one up ahead - Oh, joy!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. I am thankful you made it this far. I got to meet you and you got to meet me! LOL Hope you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY. i pass 70 last year and am still enjoying

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your supper out! I love the picture of you in your younger years--very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!